DIY: IKEA Moppe transformed into vintage makeup storage

Well hello strangers! Apologies for taking so much time between posts - I'm going to go ahead and use the cheesy cliche of 'man, life just got in the way'. HOWEVER. I'm here, I have new plans, new blog name, and also a pretty swanky new makeup storage box. Which I'm going to share with you lucky readers now.

I used to have a little set of six drawers from WHSmith to store my makeup in, hough they were made of cardboard which embarrassingly began to cave in due to the SHEER WEIGHT of my makeup collection. I confess, I'm a hoarder. In comes MOPPE. The IKEA Moppe drawers are a pretty good alternative to the much raved about FIRA drawers, loved by many beauty bloggers. They cost £17 and come in a variety of wooden drawer sizes/variations. Here's how I spruced mine up using nothing but bog standard acrylic paint from my A level Art days, some pretty wrapping paper from Paperchase, and a Pritt Stick. Nothing too fancy to see here folks.

before: an unvarnished MOPPE

Simple acrylic paint and paintbrush. I mixed white with a touch of green for a minty/turquoise colour

Begin by painting the outer frame on your box. You could paint the insides, but I didn't see much point!

Carefully measure and cut out the paper. A decent amount of Pritt Stick was enough to bond the paper and wood!

Finally, add your trinkets and DISPLAY WITH PRIDE!

Easy. As. Pie. Overall this project must have cost me about £17.50 for the drawers and a sheet of paper found at Paperchase (they sell poster-sized prints next to the wrapping paper, half a sheet was enough to cover my drawers). I used acrylic paint because it was what I had lying around the house, and it resulted in a matte, shabby chic finish which I adore. However you could also invest in glossy paint or varnish depending on what you want.

This project was so easy and now I have one of a kind drawers with tonnes of room for my shameful makeup collection. Love it!

Emily x

1 comments:

  1. Wow it looks great! I still have no idea how to decorate my chest of drawers- got some cute little knobs for it but it needs something else I think.
    (Just found your blog; it's lovely)
    beth mac designs
    xox

    ReplyDelete

 

Contact

If you have any questions or enquiries please feel free to contact me! You can reach me at emily.louisep@outlook.com or on Twitter with the handle @hellofromemily

About

A lifestyle and travel blog by a 22 year old living in Hong Kong.

Grab my Blog Button!

Hello From Emily